Recommended way of installing system-wide python application and libraries

Hi everyone!

I'm currently trying to bring a tool we have at NASA Ames up to speed:
https://github.com/NASA-SW-VnV/ikos

IKOS is a static analyzer for C. I'm really hoping that IKOS can be included in Debian in the near future.

IKOS is implemented as a  C++ library, and a number of python tools/wrappers. The tools call mains in modules defined in a python library `ikos`.

As of right now, our CMakeFiles attempt to install everything (by default) under /opt/ikos/.

I'm having lots of issues getting the python portions installed system-wide. I initially upgraded distutils to setuptools, but a recent update is now asking that I use a venv. More details and a link to a dockerfile can be found here: https://github.com/NASA-SW-VnV/ikos/discussions/241.

While I can hack a solution that "works" (either by making a venv under the target dir or by means of break-system-packages), I'd prefer to use recommended practices, and also conform to the way that things are done in Debian/Ubuntu.

What would be the recommended way of installing IKOS system-wide in Debian?

Thanks,

Ivan

PS. Apologies if this is considered off-topic for this list.