Re: Preparing for Python 3.12

On 07.11.23 14:06, Thomas Goirand wrote:
When 3.12 because an available version, it would help a lot to have someone like Lucas Nusbaumm to rebuild all reverse dependencies of Python. Is that something planned?

No. A test rebuild with a stack of 12 dependency levels doesn't make much sense. You'll only get reasonable results for the first dependency level, not the other 11 levels.

What we've done until now was to test the addition of 3.12 in a PPA, making sure that we can build up the dependency up to key packages like cython, numpy, test frameworks and others. After that, doing the work in the archive in a way that hopefully doesn't block other transitions too much.

Also doing the whole work in a PPA or shadow archive is problematic, as you have to make sure that the PPA / shadow archive doesn't get out of sync with the normal archive. A challenge over time with 1000+ packages.

I'm planning to ask Lucas for a normal test rebuild of unstable, once we have a reasonable amount of packages built with 3.12 in unstable. Bugs for these will be filed, but we probably have to usertag these our self.

Matthias