Re: Uncleaned egg-info directory giving lots of bugs about failing to build after successful build

Hi,

Am Fri, Aug 18, 2023 at 01:42:53PM +0100 schrieb Julian Gilbey:
> I'm sure I'm not the only one who received a whole bunch of bugs
> entitled "Fails to build source after successful build" last weekend.
> There was one theme common to most of them: the presence of a
> *.egg-info directory which was not cleaned by debian/rules clean.
>
> I know the bug report said that this policy is currently under
> discussion, but I did get thinking about it.  I imagine that this
> particular directory should be the responsibility of dh-python to
> clean up, but it may not be sensible to always delete *.egg-info
> directories, as they may be present in the orig.tar.gz file.  One
> could handle it by manually adding this directory to debian/clean in
> each package, but perhaps this should be the default behaviour of
> dh-python?
>
> Any thoughts?

I agree that having this a no-brainer and getting all this *.egg-info
caused bugs solved by a simple dh-python update without changing
packaging code would be extremely convenient.  I could imagine creating
a backup of the affected *.egg-info files if existent and copy these
back in clean target could solve this.

Kind regards
   Andreas.

--