Re: Package testing with Salsa CI for new packages

Hi,

I'm not a Debian developer but I have some experience on Salsa CI, so I
thought that I might be able to help... but then I was confused by a
specific part of the message:

On 17 Aug 2023 at 17:10:08, Paul Boddie wrote:

[...]

> For another package I have been working on, the Salsa CI facility has proven
> to be usable, configured using files in debian/test, particularly as it allows
> test-related dependencies to be specified independently. However, this other
> package has no dependencies that are currently unpackaged in Debian.
> Meanwhile, the testing of this new Moin package depends on brand new packages
> somehow being made available.

If this dependencies are available on the "build" step: could they be
made available on the autopkgtest? I didn't quite understand why this is
not possible. I've found the autopkgtest quite flexible (since the tests
are scripts that could prepare some environment)

> So, I would appreciate guidance on how I might enable testing of this new Moin
> package, along with its new dependencies, in the Salsa environment or any
> other appropriate environment that would satisfy Debian packaging needs and
> policies. It would also be quite helpful if built packages might be published
> somewhere for people to test, but this is a separate consideration even if
> such packages would obviously need to be generated as part of the testing
> regime.

For me, the packages on the build job are made available via a Salsa
artifact automatically (and easy to download as a .zip of the *.deb). I
think that this happens on all the "build" jobs on Salsa CI. They can be
downloaded as a .zip file
(e.g. https://salsa.debian.org/freexian-team/debusine/-/jobs/4564890,
right hand side "Job artifacts" and click "Download"). Would that be
enough?

I also created a repo and hosted it on a Salsa CI page for internal
testing but this is a bit of a workaround. This is in a new job but just
download the artifacts (via a Salsa CI dependency) and run
dpkg-scanpackages and copy the files to the right place).

Carles Pina i Estany
https://carles.pina.cat || Wiktionary translations: https://kamus.pina.cat