Re: pdm: Please replace python3-pep517 with python3-pyproject-hooks in Depends/Build-Depends

On Tue, 15 Aug 2023 15:08:11 +0200,
Scott Kitterman wrote:

> On Tuesday, August 15, 2023 3:53:07 AM EDT Andreas Tille wrote:
> > Hi Scott,
> >
> > Am Mon, Aug 14, 2023 at 02:06:42PM +0000 schrieb Scott Kitterman:
> >
> > > those are all binary without source.  That's a problem.
> >
> > Given your role as ftpmaster you definitely have more experience than I
> > in this field.  I personally was thinking more in the line of binary
> > data we can not avoid in some cases.  This is a bit in the line with
> > Rdata decision[1] where those binary data files are documented in
> > debian/README.source.
> >
> > My point is just: If we remove those data files (which are IMHO harmless
> > since these are not executd but used as input in tests - please correct
> > me if I'm wrong) we can not test the package.  Removing the files
> > prevents testing and thus we can not know whether the package we deliver
> > will work.  I've actually shown that not all tests are working but
> > stopped investigating this further.
>
> Even if they are used as data (I didn't check), they are, in fact, binary
> blobs of code by our definition and that requires the corresponding source.

They are zip files containing python source code. It is possible to include
compiled C extensions in wheels, but I checked and these wheels are all pure
python, so no binary blobs are included.

Kind regards,

Jeroen Dekkers