Re: Updating python-build/getting rid of pep517

On Tuesday, August 1, 2023 6:22:26 PM EDT Scott Talbert wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Aug 2023, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > The pep517 package has been renamed pyproject-hooks upstream:
> >
> > https://github.com/pypa/pyproject-hooks
> >
> > It looks like we need this to update python-build to the latest version
> > (which we should definitely do sooner rather than later).
> >
> > Is anyone up  for packaging this?
> >
> > Once it's in the archive we ought to make sure all current users of pep517
> > are switched so we can remove it this cycle.
>
> I'll go ahead and start packaging it.

Excellent.  PEP517 has a few users that will need to be ported/updated:

Reverse-Depends
===============
* python3-build (update to new version, needs pyproject-hooks)
* python3-pdm (update to new version, needs pyproject-hooks)
[pdm-pep517 can probably go away too]

Reverse-Testsuite-Triggers
==========================
* poetry-core (update to new version, does use either anymore)

Reverse-Build-Depends
=====================
* check-manifest (does not list pep517 as a requirement, just drop?)
* pdm
* poetry-core
* py7zr (update to new version, does use either anymore)
* python-build
* sniffles (update to new version, does use either anymore)

Looks like no porting will be needed, just updating.  With the exception of
sniffles, these are all maintained in the Debian Python Team, so this ought to
be eminently doable.

Scott K