Python pybuild system & setup.cfg

Hi,

I'm a little bit lost, by building the pssh package. The upstream author
released a new version, which changed the build system. Before I had a
setup.py in the root directory, now there is a pyproject.toml and a
setup.cfg file, the setup.py is gone. The debian/rules file calls the dh
sequencer:

DESTDIR=debian/tmp

%:
        dh $@ --buildsystem=pybuild

The build fails right at the beginning, with:

dh clean --buildsystem=pybuild
   dh_auto_clean -O--buildsystem=pybuild
I: pybuild base:240: python3.11 setup.py clean
python3.11: can't open file '/<<PKGBUILDDIR>>/setup.py': [Errno 2] No
such file or directory
E: pybuild pybuild:388: clean: plugin distutils failed with: exit
code=2: python3.11 setup.py clean

The content of the pyproject.toml is:

[build-system]
requires = ["setuptools"]
build-backend = "setuptools.build_meta"

The build Deps I use until now are:

Build-Depends: debhelper-compat (= 13),
        python3,
        python3-setuptools,
        dh-sequence-python3

I don't know what needs to be changed to convince debhelper to use the
setup.cfg instead of setup.py. My wild guess is that I have to change my
BD's but I don't know what needs to be added/removed.

Thanks for help,
  Hilmar
--
sigfault