Re: Python 3.10 in bookworm

On 2/5/23 14:50, Julian Gilbey wrote:
Our social contract #4 says "Our priorities are our users and free
software".

In a Debian thread, invoking the social contract #4, is like owning a goodwin point. It suggests that the opponent is trying to do something against the Debian users, which is a very bad way to interact with others. Well done, you've earned a Debian goodwin point!

Why would we tell a whole bunch of our users: "Don't
upgrade to Debian 12 until all of the critical packages you use from
PyPI are upgraded to support Python 3.11, or fix those packages
yourself"?

Because:

- we don't want to maintain 2 interpreter in the next stable (that's too much work, and as much as I know, nobody volunteered for it, did you?).

- the freeze will take months anyways, so these packages can be fixed in the mean time.

- these modules aren't in Debian, and we can't cover all of what's in PyPi, only the subset we package.

- that's a very valid answer. Bullseye will be around for at least 1 more year after Bookworm. There will be 2 more years of LTS after that.

If you care yourself, probably you should attempt to open merge requests against the affected modules, to fix the situation.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)