Re: change in the extention importation with 3.11

Hi!

On 07/12/2022 00:47, picca wrote:
> Hello, I am trying to fix this bug

> I find the error message not very informative...
>
> :~/$ python3.11
> Python 3.11.0+ (main, Nov  4 2022, 09:23:33) [GCC 12.2.0] on linux
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
> SystemError: initialization of scitbx_linalg_ext raised unreported
> exception
>>>>

> I would like your opinion and some help in order to fix this or at least
> understand what is going on.
>
> ther extension was build with boost_python, maybe something is wrong
> also with boost_python and Python3.11.
>
> I do not know if other packages using boost_python are affected like
> this.

I briefly looked at #1023909 (python-pgmagick FTBFS with Python 3.11 as supported version) and found the same error. I spent some time trying to step through loading the extension with gdb and found that the failure is somewhere in amongst some boost macros associated with initialising the extension. I didn't actually manage to isolate the issue, however.

Is there a wider problem with boost python that needs addressing perhaps?

regards
Stuart

--
Stuart Prescott   http://www.nanonanonano.net/ stuart@nanonanonano.net