Re: [MBF] pybuild: Stop calling setup.py test?

On 2022-08-15 14 h 27, Stefano Rivera wrote:
Calling "setup.py test" has been deprecated since setuptools 28.5.
That's 6 years ago.

pybuild calls currently setup.py test, when it can see that the package
supports it, and another test runner hasn't been selected. I looked at
dropping support for this (https://bugs.debian.org/982298) last year.
I did some test builds and decided that breaking 50 odd packages to stop
calling setup.py test wasn't worth it.

I just ran the tests again, and the numbers are 41 new FTBFS, and 54
packages start emitting "Ran 0 tests", so they lost test coverage.
dd-lists attached.

That's an improvement over last year, but still enough to give me pause
on just changing pybuild and breaking packages.

We also now know that calling setup.py at all is deprecated. "setup.py
test" support hasn't been removed yet, and I don't know if it will be,
at this point...

1. Change pybuild, cause 41 new FTBFS, and 54 packages to lose testing.
    File FTBFS bugs.
2. File "Severity: important" bugs on the packages that would FTBFS or lose
    testing.
    Change pybuild when most of these are closed.
3. File "Severity: minor" bugs on the packages that would FTBFS or lose
    testing.
    Leave pybuild as is, for now.
    Change pybuild when upstream setuptools drops support for "setup.py
    test".

I think we're currently in a good place wrt the Bookworm release. This gives us some leeway in what we want to do with the time we have until the freeze :)

I think option 2 is reasonable _IF_ (big 'if' here) we plan to stick with python 3.10. I don't think we need 50 extra RC bugs in addition to all the potential 3.11 failures. Otherwise, I'd go with 3. 1 seems unnecessary disruptive.

I guess fixing those bugs could be a valuable sprint goal for the potential remote sprint we discussed at DC22. I'll try to prod people on the ML in the next few days to see who'd be interested.

  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
  ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Louis-Philippe Véronneau
  ⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋   pollo@debian.org / veronneau.org
  ⠈⠳⣄