Re: pybuild pyproject.toml problem

On Fri, 12 Aug 2022, Ole Streicher wrote:

Scott Talbert <swt@techie.net> writes:
On Thu, 11 Aug 2022, Ole Streicher wrote:
-------------------------------8<-----------------------------------
* Building wheel...
Successfully built UNKNOWN-1.0.3-py3-none-any.whl
I: pybuild plugin_pyproject:118: Unpacking wheel built for
python3.10 with "installer" module
E: pybuild pybuild:369: build: plugin pyproject failed with: UNKNOWN
wheel found: UNKNOWN-1.0.3-py3-none-any.whl. Does pyproject.toml
specify a build-backend?
dh_auto_build: error: pybuild --build -i python{version} -p 3.10
returned exit code 13
make: *** [debian/rules:5: binary] Error 25

I *think* the issue might be that our setuptools is too old to
understand how to get project metadata from pyproject.toml (PEP 621).
This seems to indicate that it was added in setuptools 61.0.0:

https://setuptools.pypa.io/en/latest/userguide/pyproject_config.html

As a workaround, you might try to patch the metadata back into setup.cfg?

Since setuptools 63 is already in experimental, I will probably just
wait until it makes its way to unstable (and file a bug for it).

Does building with setuptools from experimental resolve the issue?

Scott