Re: Reaching team consensus on usage of py3versions -r and X-Python3-Version in Lintian

On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 12:47:44 -0500
Louis-Philippe Véronneau <pollo@debian.org> wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> I'm following up on bug #1001677 [1] on the DPT's list to try to reach
> consensus, as I think the Lintian tags that were created to fix this
> bug are not recommending the proper thing.
>
> As a TL;DR for those of you who don't want to read the whole BTS
> thread, jdg saw that a bunch of packages were using `py3versions -r`
> in autopkgtests, and this fails when there's no X-Python3-Version
> variable in d/control.
>
> The fix that Lintian now proposes for packages that use `py3versions
> -r` in autopkgtests is to set X-Python3-Version.
>
> I think the proper fix would be to ask people to move away from
> `py3versions -r` if there is no X-Python3-Version, and use`py3versions
> -s` instead.

Just as a general point, can I ask that - especially in a TL;DR - that
long option names are used or the context of each option is included as
the difference between -r and -s is not obvious from this email & not
everyone on the list uses py3versions routinely.

--
Neil Williams