Re: How do you create entry-points for Python applications?

AFAIK Debian helper for Python handles this

در 18 دسامبر 2022 19:18:44 (UTC)، c.buhtz@posteo.jp نوشت:
Hello,
a python application isn't a binary but a script. So to invoke such an application there need to be a shell script somewhere in PATH that invoke that script via python3 interpreter. Imagine an application with a GUI (qt, tikinter, gtk, ...).

On the upstream site modern python projects using pyproject.toml (only), some use setup.cfg.
There you can define "entry points" and the "pip" installer does generate a shell script based on that information and place it in PATH.
That is a nice mechanism when installing via pip.

On your site as distro maintainers. How do you take care of then when creating deb files?
When a project do follow modern python packaging standards using pyproject.toml/setup.cfg and doesn't offer any other explict start shell script. Do you use that pip mechanic for the deb package?
Or how do you create your shell scripts?

I don't have an real world example of a python application for that.

I only have an example of a project (backintime) that don't use pyproject.toml/setup.cfg and offer its own shell script. I'm part of the new maintainer team and we will evolve the project to current python packaging standards; which means using pyproject.toml.