Re: Python 3.11 for bookworm?

On 12/13/22 13:34, Julian Gilbey wrote:
Hi Graham,

On Mon, Dec 12, 2022 at 11:51:11PM +0000, Graham Inggs wrote:
Dear Python Team

Looking at the current state of the 'adding Python 3.11 as a supported
version' transition [1], the tracker [2] shows only 12 red packages
(excluding unknowns and packages not in testing) remaining, copied
below for reference.
[...]

If Python 3.11 is the default, then it is highly likely that Spyder
will not be included: debugpy, which is a dependency of Spyder and
python3-ipykernel (and lots of things that depend on that) seems to
require major work upstream to make it fully compatible with Python
3.11.  This is work in progress, but I don't know whether it will be
ready in time for the freeze.  At the moment, I have worked around
this problem by just skipping the failing tests, but that is far from
an ideal solution.

Best wishes,

    Julian

Hi Julian,

It's probably ok if it's a *TEMPORARY* solution until upstream fixes everything in time for the release (which is months after the freeze). The question is: do you believe this may happen for let's say next March?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)