Re: Python 3.11 for bookworm?

Hello,

On 2022-12-13 01:51, Graham Inggs wrote:
As this transition is non-blocking (i.e. uploaded packages are able to
migrate ahead of python3-defaults), we could wait for the remaining
bugs to be fixed, or for auto-removal to take its course.  However,
with the bookworm transition freeze only one month away [5], we'd like
to hear from the Python Team within the next week whether they wish to
proceed with Python 3.11 being the only supported version for bookworm
(in which case we will allow python3-defaults to migrate right now)
or, revert the changes in python3-defaults and have Python 3.10 as the
only supported version for bookworm.

Am I right that whichever the choice, there will be only one supported Python version in bookworm? I believe there are many packages that will FTBFS with Python 3.11 as default (i.e., packages that use only the default Python). Was there an attempt to rebuild the archive with that setting?

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/1021984
[2] https://release.debian.org/transitions/html/python3.11-add.html
[3] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=python3.11&users=debian-python@lists.debian.org
[4] https://veronneau.org/debian-python-team-2022-sprint-report.html
[5] https://release.debian.org/bookworm/freeze_policy.html
[6] https://udd.debian.org/bugs/?release=bookworm&merged=ign&fnewerval=7&flastmodval=7&fusertag=only&fusertagtag=python3.11&fusertaguser=debian-python%40lists.debian.org&rc=1&ckeypackage=1&sortby=id&sorto=asc&format=html#results

Best,
Andrius