Different behavior of package with pyproject.toml

Hi,

I need some help with a package that switched to using pyproject.toml
only. The package is asdf-astropy, and the problem I have that it does
not package all Python files recursively: for example astropy_asdf.io
files are missing (as seen in unstable now).

https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/asdf-astropy
https://salsa.debian.org/debian-astro-team/asdf-astropy

What I do not understand is that this happens "sometimes":

* when I build the package in a clean schroot with "debuild", files in
  subpackages are missing (but no error message in the log)

* when I install git, then a debuild results in a complete package

* when I cut&paste the command from the build log [1], the copy process
  always happens completely, independent of whether git was installed or
  not

* when I use pbuilder, files of subpackages are never package, with our
  without git in the build dependencies

[1] python3.11 -m build --skip-dependency-check --no-isolation --wheel --outdir .pybuild/cpython3_3.11

Since the package "sometimes" is built correctly, I think that upstream
did it right; however I have no idea where the problem could be. Does
anyone have an idea?

Best

Ole