Review of Debian package lazy-loader

Hello,

This is my review of the lazy-loader package you asked the Debian Python Team to sponsor in the Debian archive.

1. In d/control, I'm not sure to understand why the binary package is marked as "Multi-Arch: foreign", as this package isn't arch dependent?

2. In d/control, your list of build-dependencies for the source package should be reviewed.

* Why do you need 'python3-setuptools' when this package uses flit?
* Why the dependency on 'python3-toml'?
* You should build-depend on 'pybuild-plugin-pyproject', as this is a PEP517 compatible package. The 'old' flit plugin for pybuild is being deprecated in favor of this one. * since 'python3-pytest' is only used for tests, it should be marked as so using <!nocheck>

3. In d/control, although Stefan van der Walt is the author, the copyright should only be "Scientific Python project", as that's the only licensing information in this package.

4. There are many commented lines in d/rules that should just be removed. Note that you do not need 'export DH_VERBOSE = 1' nor 'export PYBUILD_SYSTEM=flit' (since you'll now build with 'pybuild-plugin-pyproject')

5. The autopkgtests you are running in d/tests are redundant. autodep8 already does this for python.

You should instead run the upstream test suite as autopkgtests: they are much more meaningful.

Have a look at this example:

https://salsa.debian.org/python-team/packages/metalfinder/-/tree/debian/master/debian/tests

6. In d/changelog, you marked your entry as "unstable", whereas it should be UNRELEASED. Please re-read the DPT's policy with regards to this.

7. Although I have not listed them here, pretty much all of the lintian tags raised are relevant errors that you should fix.

You're 90% there!

I've removed your package from the sponsor queue for now, but feel free to re-add it when you feel like you've dealt with my review. I'll be happy to sponsor it then.

Thanks for your contribution to Debian.

--
  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
  ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Louis-Philippe Véronneau