docarray Debian package review

Hello,

This is my review of the docarray package you asked the Debian Python Team to sponsor in the Debian archive.

1. In d/control, you've specified version restrictions for build-dependencies, I guess based on setup.py. Most of those are not needed, as those versions aren't even in Debian anymore.

For example, you specified python3-setuptools (>= 18.0). The current version in Sid is 65.5.0 and even Stretch has 33.1.1.

Version restrictions can be useful for backporting packages, but it's always a good idea to check if they actually make sense.

2. As explained in d/rules, you are not currently running any testsuite, since it requires packages not currently in the archive.

It is my personal policy not to sponsor packages that do not run upstream tests. Tests are very important, otherwise, how do you know if your package hasn't been broken by some change in the archive?

Some other people might not be as rigid as I am on this, but I thought you should know.

3. To me, d/source/local-options, d/source/options and d/source/patch-header look like superfluous files you could remove.

4. docarray/resources/embedding-projector/index.html.gz seems to be an embedded copy of https://projector.tensorflow.org/. This is not something that can be done in Debian.

Sadly, it looks like this file is needed to run docarray? I haven't dug very deep, but that raises a lot of questions with regards to the possibility of actually packaging this in Debian.

I might be wrong, as I'm not familiar with docarray, but I would be interested in your reflections on this.

5. d/copyright is incomplete.

A lot of files in docarray/docs/datatypes are not documented in d/copyright properly. I see some non-free images (docs/datatypes/image/complicated-image.jpeg) and some free ones, (docs/datatypes/video/chunk-1.png), but this again raises a red flag for me.

I'd recommend running decopy as a tool to inspect copyright in files. It's not perfect, but it helps.

That's it for now! I have not tried building this package, as there were too many large flaws I think you should try to address first.

Thanks for your contribution to Debian.

--
  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
  ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Louis-Philippe Véronneau