Re: Updating pytest

Le jeudi 02 juin 2022 à 10:28 -0400, Sandro Tosi a écrit :
> > I would suggest ratt-rebuilding all reverse dependencies. Could
> > that be
> > done?
>
> there order of thousands rdeps, i dont think it's fair to ask any
> individual contributor the time and resources to check that via ratt.

Agreed. If the list of packages to check can't be handled by my modest
setup during the night, I won't check them all.

> Something i've done in the past (f.e. with numpy and matplotlib) is
> leveraging Lucas' archive rebuild infrastructure to run a rebuild the
> rdeps with a new package, usually uploaded in experimental.

When I upgrade a package with a number of rdeps I deem unreasonable for
my setup, I pick some rdeps semi-randomly (mostly random, but having a
look at the list to hand-pick a few promising ones, or make sure I drop
problematic ones [sagemath comes to mind]).

That won't guarantee nothing will break, but does detect glaring
issues.

And indeed, uploading to experimental and giving people a head's up if
there's a thousand rdeps and you can only test 1% is important.

Cheers,

J.Puydt