Re: RFS: python-click-default-group: Extension for Python click adding default subcommand to group

On 2021-09-29 16:32:05 -0400 (-0400), Sandro Tosi wrote:
> > One note: I'd consider watching for PyPI instead of GitHub.
>
> there was actually a recent discussion on this list, discouraging
> from using PyPI in favor of github, since GH tarball usually
> contains docs, tests, and other files useful when building from
> source, usually not included in tarball released to users, ie pypi

And as was also pointed out in that discussion, this depends a lot
on the upstream maintainers and their workflow. Some upstreams are
careful to always include all files from the Git worktree within
their sdist tarballs, but may also include required files which
aren't contained in their Git worktree (such as version information,
copyright holders, or release notes extracted from Git tags,
revision history, Git "notes" refs, and so on)... in which cases you
either need their sdist or the full Git repository, since a "GitHub
tarball" of the worktree alone is insufficient to reproduce this
information.

Also since the advent of "wheels" a lot of maintainers are more
willing to make their sdists full archives of their projects (as was
the original intent for a "source distribution" package), since most
users installing directly from PyPI are going to pull a wheel
instead of an sdist when available, and wheels are expected to be
much more pared down anyway.

Like many things in the packaging realm, there is no
one-size-fits-all answer.
--
Jeremy Stanley