Subject: My deep mistake with the python-absl package
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2021 21:04:28 +0200
From: Arturo Borrero Gonzalez <arturo@debian.org>
To: Romain Porte <debian@microjoe.org>
CC: Debian Python Team <team+python@tracker.debian.org>

Hi there,

I made an ugly mistake today. While packaging capirca [0] I noticed it depended on python-absl. On a quick search I didn't find python-absl on Debian (mistake, only checked testing), so I created an ITP [1] for it, a salsa repository [2], and then uploaded it to the debian archive [3], in parallel with capirca.

I was expecting python-absl to hit NEW (I thought it was a brand new package) so when it was accepted right-away by the ftp-master process I noticed my ugly mistake... python-absl already existed and I just uploaded a new version!

I'm deeply sorry about this. I was never my intention to hijack, or diminish your work in any way.

Possibly the proper thing to do now is to drop my upload from debian using dcut, and that's what I will try once I hit the send button for this email. I would need to check the workflow first because I've not used that for ages. I wanted to contact you by email to make sure you were aware of the situation.

I'm really sorry for all this noise.

regards.

[0] https://ftp-master.debian.org/new/capirca_2.0.3-1.html
[1] https://bugs.debian.org/987152