Re: Challenges packaging Python for a Linux distro - at Python Language Summit

FWIW, if might come handy in the future, my 4c:

> * What do we provide for scientific / data scientist use cases?

- https://snapshot.debian.org/ is the unique service allowing to "go
  back in time" or just "freeze" the environment given a date.

  Very handy for reproducibility, collab, etc.

  Not possible AFAIK on pypi or even conda unless researcher prepared a
  full exhaustive list of frozen package==version@build

  nd_freeze from neurodebian-freeze assists in making use of that
  feature.  I just stick it at the top of my Dockerfile/Singularity file
  recipes to make container itself as reproducible as possible, so later
  on I could add another component less likely affecting already
  existing ones.

- wider arch support for extensions and non-python libraries/tools.
  ppc64el is gaining some momentum AFAIK in sci computing

- better guarantees to achieve desired installation goal.

  examples of pip/conda failing to resolve depends are more numerous
  AFAIK.

- integration and downstream testing at package build time and via
  https://ci.debian.net/

  anyone who cares to not only "get it running" but have some assurance
  of correct operation (not junk-in-junk-out) should appreciate that.

  pypi has no concerns on that at all.  conda is doing quite good job
  and does allow for some downstream testing.  But it remains "more
  fluid", unlike a clear cut releases of debian with better guarantees
  for correct operation

--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko
Center for Open Neuroscience     http://centerforopenneuroscience.org