Re: Need a Python 3.8 virtual environment

On Tue, 02 Mar 2021 21:17:36 -0600
Steven Robbins <steve@sumost.ca> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to use a (non-Debian) python system built on python 3.8.  Debian's
> default is currently 3.9 so I am advised to use a virtual environment.   Being
> a newbie, I searched around and found a writeup covering several different
> virtualization tools [1].   Note I am using Debian 'sid'.
[...]
> Is there something I've missed?

Hi Steven,

I don't think there is any simple solution for you within the debian ecosystem.
As a developper, I faced the same issue and ended in installing `conda` to
have a quick access to the various python versions (then I create
some venv from the conda environments).

I doubt our use-case is common enough to justify having multiple python (again) in Debian.

Cheers,

Jerome

PS: venv are about 10x smaller than conda environments !