python3.5 + oldstable dilemma

Hi all,

I'm a maintainer for a python based SDN network controller, FAUCET. One of the platforms we've been supporting to-date is python3.5/oldstable.

Of course, now, python3.5 is EOL. To some degree we can keep building our package under python3.5, but now not all of our dependencies (like pyyaml) build or are even released for 3.5 anymore. That's an issue as there are security vulnerabilities that are now difficult to address.

Given that oldstable will be around until 2022, does that mean python3 as python3.5 will live on in oldstable until then? I can understand the case for not adding a newer python3 version, but also OTOH addressing security vulnerabilities over the LTS window will probably only get harder.

Any advice appreciated,