Re: Python louvain packages naming confusion.

On Tue, 9 Feb 2021 at 23:53, Diane Trout <diane@ghic.org> wrote:
Hello,

The fairly popular (in the world of bioinformatics) ScanPy package uses
a Python version of the louvain clustering algorithm implemented by:

https://github.com/vtraag/louvain-igraph
https://pypi.org/project/louvain/

which installs into the "louvain" dist-packages directory.
(from debc)
./usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/louvain/

I have it mostly packaged

However currently in the Debian archive there's a different louvain
package

https://github.com/taynaud/python-louvain
https://pypi.org/project/python-louvain/
https://salsa.debian.org/python-team/packages/python-louvain

It installs into (according to debc)
./usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/community/

Unfortunately for this package we now automatically run autodep8 which
fails because the import name is community and not louvain.

In the short term I recommend fixing this by adding a file to the Debian python-louvain package named "debian/tests/autopkgtest-pkg-python.conf" with the contents "import_name = community"

--
Michael R. Crusoe