Re: Should Binaries provided by python-babel have a "python3-" prefix?

On 11/26/20 1:16 PM, Nilesh Patra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Currently src:python-babel provides 3 binaries:
>
> * python3-babel
> * python-babel-doc
> * python-babel-localedata
>
> of which python3-babel is the main binary, -babel-doc is for the
> documentation and -babel-localedata is for storing locale data files
> used by python3-babel.
>
> Should this be renamed to a "python3-" prefix for both binaries? They do
> not contain any actual code though
>
> BTW this also has a RC bug, and I pushed the fix to salsa. If it needs a
> renaming, it'd be great if someone could upload it to NEW.
>
> If not, I'll do a source-only-upload.
> Please let me know what you think of this.
>
> Kind regards
> Nilesh

Hi,

It used to be that we had a python-babel that also needed the data in
python-babel-localedata, which was shared by both the Python 2 and 3
packages. Now, we don't have it anymore. So probably, what could be
done, is move all the files in python3-babel, and get rid of
python-babel-localedata completely.

python-babel-doc is still the correct package name for the doc (unless
the amount of doc is small and could be integrated in python3-babel as
well).

If that's the way to go, then python3-babel needs a Breaks+Replaces:
python-babel-localedata.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)