Re: Package naming advice: python3-pyls-jsonrpc or python3-jsonrpc-server?

On Sun, 01 Nov 2020 at 19:36:52 +0200, Otto Kekäläinen wrote:
> I am currently reviewing the Debian packaging at
> https://salsa.debian.org/python-team/packages/python-jsonrpc-server of
> the upstream project https://github.com/palantir/python-jsonrpc-server
>
> Upstream uses 'python-jsonrpc-server' as the repository and also the
> pip package name. Should we follow that in Debian or perhaps use the
> alternative name 'python3-pyls-jsonrpc'?
>
> Is there some existing naming convention/policy about Python modules
> of this sort?

When you say "follow that", do you mean for the Debian source package
name (.dsc, like dbus-python), or for the Debian binary package name
(.deb, like python3-dbus)?

The binary package name should be mechanically derived from what you
import. If you 'import pyls_jsonrpc', then python3-pyls-jsonrpc is right.
If you 'import pyls.jsonrpc', then python3-pyls.jsonrpc, and so on.

The source package name is less important, and could either resemble the
binary package name or match what upstream calls it.

    smcv