Re: The python command in Debian

On Thu, Jul 09, 2020 at 04:55:33PM +0000, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> I don't follow your logic there. Why is it hard to explain? Python
> was a programming language, and its last interpreter (2.7) is no
> longer developed or supported. Python3 (formerly Python3000) is also
> a programming language, similar to Python and developed by the same
> community, but not directly compatible with Python. Debian provides
> an interpreter for Python3, but has (or will have by then) ceased
> distributing a Python interpreter.

counterpoint: It is normal and expected to have `python` be the same
as `python3` in a virtualenv, the idiomatic way to maintain the Python
environment.

I love the idea of eventually migrating `$(which python)` to be Python 3
as soon as that doesn't induce nasty breakage

--
 .''`.  Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@debian.org>
: :'  : Proud Debian Developer