Re: Future of PyPy (not PyPy3) in Debian

On Thursday, June 4, 2020 8:00:30 PM EDT Sandro Tosi wrote:
> Hello all,
> it looks like i started a process that would require the removal of
> several PyPy (as in pypy-* depending on the `pypy` package) packages
> from the archive.
>
> I'm now wondering: what should we do with the entire pypy ecosystem?
> should we treat pypy-* packages like python-* ones and remove then as
> part of py2removal? do we need/want to track this effort with the same
> usertag? is there a (even if only hypothetical for now) programmed
> transition from pypy- to pypy3-?
>
> PS: if i made mistakes, just call me out, and i'll do my best to fix
> them or revert them; i have no problem in being told i did something
> wrong (let's keep the discussion in this thread on topic, so pypy etc)

My understanding is that unlike python2.7, pypy is not going away.  If nothing
else it's needed to build pypy3.

Tumbleweed and I recently did some integration work to make sure pip and
virtualenv for Bullseye will support pypy and pypy3.  In fact, a pypy
virtualenv may be a decent solution for people with python2 code that isn't
ported to python3 yet.  I'd hate to mess that up.

I think we need to keep some of pypy.  The question is how much.

Since Tumbleweed is the one most familiar with the environment, I defer to him
on the specifics about what we need to keep.

Scott K