Re: packaging DiscoDOS - a cli tool for vinyl DJs

On 5/16/20 3:36 AM, Paul Wise wrote:
> Would it be fair to say that your main objection is that Ubuntu has
> much higher popularity than Debian

This is what I regret, indeed. It's been like that for many years, and
the trend isn't reversing. We should ask ourselves why. From my point of
view, I see it as a problem of marketing more than OS content or
technical excellence.

> and so the Ubuntu policy to work
> upstream where possible leads people to come to Debian without
> necessarily caring about the Debian community or users but more about
> Ubuntu users?

We are lucky this happens.

> Personally, I think over the years Ubuntu's Debian involvement has
> been a net positive for Debian

Indeed.

> both in terms of packaging and other
> technical changes and in terms of attracting new contributors, often
> Ubuntu migrants end up contributing to Debian more than Ubuntu. I
> think the same goes for derivatives in general.

That's truth. I am very thankful for Canonical to contribute things like
Grub, Python, MySQL and many other things directly in Debian. It's very
nice that some full time employees can take care of stuff like that.
It's also nice that some components are explicitly worked on to be the
same in both distros. I also like the fact that they push contributors
to work on upstream Debian.

Never the less, I've seen multiple occurrences where some people vaguely
knew what Ubuntu was, but never heard of Debian. Saw others saying wrong
things, like Ubuntu was updating faster (which is wrong, as packages are
updated in Sid first). And many other things of that type. Isn't it
legitimate that I'm asking myself why? Shouldn't the Debian project try
to question its image?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)