How does Debian support python2.7 during 2020-01-01 .. ~2022?

Dear DDs,

Python 2 upstream support has ended 2020-01-01. As python2.7 is still in buster repositories, it's somehow supported by Debian at least until buster EOL ~2022.

Is there a Debian strategy for what that support actually means? I'm asking for the interpreter / standard library in particular. Will Debian developers pick and apply security/bugfix patches from the broader community?
Or will they even develop patches on their own?
Or not that much, besides keeping runtime and reverse dependencies buildable?

The Debian way for >= bullseye is quite clear from reading this list, but I couldn't find much about the "dead upstream" period in buster.

Thanks for all your work,
Tobias