py2removal, src:xcb-proto (#938839) and src:libxcb (#936940)

Dear DDs,

I am (basically) upstream for src:xcb-proto and src:libxcb. For random
reasons, I looked through the debian bugs against libxcb and stumbled
upon #938839 (py2removal for src:xcb-proto) and #936940 (py2removal for
src:libxcb). Here are some comments that hopefully turn into patches for
the two packages.

The short version of this mail: These two bugs can be tagged
py3available (by someone who does not always mess up any interaction
with the BTS).

The python code in the newest versions of xcb-proto and libxcb should
work fine with Python 3. In 2016, I merged some patches coming from
someone with a @NetBSD.org mail address that should make everything
build with python 3 (and python 3.5 was mentioned specifically).

Thus, the following steps should be necessary for the Debian packages:

1. Add a python3-xcbgen package.
2. Make libxcb build with python3.
3. Drop python-xcbgen? I'm not sure on the policy here, but it has no
reverse dependencies and the only reverse build dependency is libxcb.

This seems simple and "just the standard case". I would provide tested
patches for the bugs in question, but I am not quite sure about the
inner workings of dh-python.

For 1, I tried coming up with a patch for xcb-proto myself, but failed.
(--with dh-python3 and a new debian/python3-xcbgen.install and some
messing with debian/control, but no python3 paths ended up materialising
in the new binary package).
All the python code is in xcbgen/* in the source and just has to be
installed at the right place. That should be trivially simple for
someone who knows the necessary dh and autotools magic.

For 2... well, libxcb uses AM_PATH_PYTHON([2.6]) for finding python via
autotools, so I guess that export PYTHON=/usr/bin/python3 is all that is
necessary for this.

I hope this helps & sorry for failing to produce patches myself.

Cheers,
Uli

P.S.: I'm not subscribed to the list. Let's see how well that works out
for this mail...
--
Sent from my Game Boy.