Re: Python 2 support for Bullseye

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 08:21:09PM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
> > As such, I'd propose to include Python 2 (plus the small set of
> > support packages) in Bullseye
>
> ok. I think you should explicitly name all these packages.

Yeah. I think the final list is still TBD (e.g. depends on whether Chromium
still gets a Py3 port in time for the freeze).

> > but exempt it from support (and then
> > remove it for good after the Bullseye release):
>
> not ok. That would mean removing pypy3 from the archive as well. If you don't
> want to support Python2, then why do you care about it's removal for bullseye+1?

Ok. I assumed the need for Py2 in pypy3 was a temporary thing? If it's needed
for longer (is there an estimate of sorts?), I'm also fine with keeping
it longer.

> > - Mark src:python (plus related support packages) as unsupported in
> >   debian-security-support and with a README.Debian in the source
> >   package (and given how prominent Python is, also in the release notes)
>
> That should list the binary packages, there's no src:python package.

I acually meant src:python2.7, debian-security-support only operates
on source packages (and then flags all installed binary packages).

Cheers,
        Moritz