Packaging a python module when already using cmake buildsystem

Hi,

I'm trying to package a newly added python component of our tool https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/armnn.

It has a setup.py and uses SetupTools and DistUtils so I was hoping to add "--with Python3" and hope that a lot of magic would be done by pybuild.
However as I'm already using cmake as the build system I can't stick pybuild in there.

Do I have to use .pyinstall files to further split my packages and install the python module?

Any pointers to relevant docs would be useful, currently going off of:
https://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/python-policy/index.html
https://wiki.debian.org/Python/LibraryStyleGuide

Thanks,
Francis.