Re: Maintaining all of the testing-cabal packages under the OpenStack team

On 6/29/20 12:58 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On June 29, 2020 10:12:49 AM UTC, Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:
>> On 6/29/20 8:34 AM, Ondrej Novy wrote:
>>> nope, this is not true. Using the newest debhelper compat level is
>>> recommended, see man page. There is no reason to __not__ upgrade
>>> debhelper compat level. I will always upgrade debhelper in my
>> packages
>>> to the newest debhelper as soon as possible. Please newer downgrade
>>> debhelper in my packages again without asking.
>>
>> I don't agree this is best practice when backports are to be expected.
>
> I'm substantially less enthusiastic about bumping compat levels than
> Ondrej, but since debhelper 13 is available in buster-backports,> backporting is unrelated to whether it's a good idea or not.

I'm not maintaining OpenStack through the official backports channel,
because OpenStack users need to have access to all versions of OpenStack
backported to the current Stable. These backports are available through
a debian.net channel (available using extrepo).

Therefore, the debhelper backport is not available in my build
environment unless I explicitly do some work to make this happen (and
Ondrej is aware of that). Just bumping the debhelper version (and
without a good reason to do so) just add some unnecessary work
maintaining the debhelper backport for me. By all means, let's bump to
version 12. But why version 13 if you don't need the added features?
This makes no sense to me.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)