SETUPTOOLS_SCM_PRETEND_VERSION trick : how to use it in autopkgtest?

Hi,

I know about the SETUPTOOLS_SCM_PRETEND_VERSION trick when it is used
in d/rules :

include /usr/share/dpkg/pkg-info.mk
export SETUPTOOLS_SCM_PRETEND_VERSION=$(DEB_VERSION_UPSTREAM)

so setuptools-scm won't have trouble finding the correct version
outside of a git repository. But the situation I'm facing is that the
upstream testing code also needs this. Not at build-time, but at
autopkgtest-time.

My initial d/tests/control was:

Tests: upstreamtestsuite
Depends: @, python3-setuptools, python3-setuptools-scm

and d/tests/upstreamtestsuite was:

#!/bin/sh
set -e
python3 setup.py test 2>1

which of course failed because setuptools-scm couldn't find the
version.

I got around by turning d/tests/upstreamtestsuite to:

#!/bin/sh
set -e
SETUPTOOLS_SCM_PRETEND_VERSION=0.0.0 python3 setup.py test 2>&1

which worked because in fact the tests don't care about the version.

But if they did, how would I inject the right version into this script?

Thanks,

JP