Re: Issues running pytest from within .pybuild

On 2020-05-18 01:30, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Sunday, May 17, 2020 6:26:11 PM EDT Christian Kastner wrote:
>> From the GitHub issue, it seems as if the current practice of testing
>> from within .pybuild is not supported by pytest, but I'm inclined to
>> believe that it is my approach that is flawed.
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/pytest-dev/pytest/issues/7223
>
> I think this would only happen if sys.path had been extended to include the
> main source directory.  You may need to cd to $SRCDIR/.pybuild/.../sklearn
> before calling pytest or something may be inserting the source directory into
> sys.path.

All of this is being delegated to pybuild, by calling it with the
--test-pytest option. It takes care of cd'ing to the build dir before
calling pytest. The only customization is using --pytest-args to pass
some additional options to exclude some tests.

Hence why I'm puzzled to see this.

Manually cd'ing into the directory and running pytest (to test whether
pybuild is doing something funny) doesn't help.

It really looks as if this is a pytest issue, but on the GitHub issue
linked above, the assessment was "It's a little weird to discover tests
from an ephemeral build dir". Seeing as doing this is the standard
practice for pybuild, I thought it best to check back here.

Christian