Re: issues installing psutil with pip in virtual environment

On April 26, 2020 4:06:00 PM UTC, Anil F Duggirala <anilduggirala@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>hello,
>I am running into an issue installing psutil: pip3 install psutil, in a
>virtual environment. I have upgraded my pip and setuptools with no
>avail. I am getting this error: https://pastebin.com/2Xb7UN9g
>Some have suggested installing the python3-dev package. Saying that I
>require "header" files (don't know what those are). So this means
>installing that package and creating a new venv, where those files are
>available. Is there a way to make this install work without installing
>that package? Is that package really necessary? Does this mean my
>virtual environments are somehow subject to what libraries are
>available in my system python installation? Is there some pip
>installabel package that provides these files?
>thank you,

No.  No.  Yes.  Yes.  No.

Pip doesn't provide the python interpreter.  The solution is in the traceback you posted:

("sudo apt-get install gcc python%s-dev" % py3)
      File "/tmp/pip-install-b88905i2/psutil/setup.py", line 116, in missdeps
        s = hilite("C compiler or Python headers are not installed ", ok=False)

So install gcc and python3-dev and try again.

Scott K