Re: best practice when installing python packages

On Sat, 2020-04-25 at 13:55 -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Debian pip/pip3 does a user install by default, so if you do an
> 'upgrade'
> of a system installed module, it should have no system wide effect,
> only for
> the current user.

Thank you for that piece of info. I was really wondering why all pip
installed packages were --user installed. But does this also apply to
upgrading pip itself? So if I upgrade pip I would necessarily end up
with two different versions of pip? In that case what determines which
will be the "default" pip? And will this possibly create issues? Sorry,
I am a newbie.

> The Buster (Debian 10) version of PyQt5 does not install the Python
> packaging
> related metadata, so it not being listed by pip3 is not a surprise
> (for the
> next release it is provided).

Well. Basically my problem is that, with the pip3 version supplied by
Debian, it is not possible to install pyqt5 without an error. One
apparently needs to upgrade pip (however, this appears to be a bug in
the pyqt5 package).

> For cases like this, I think the best practice is to work inside a
> virtualenv
> where you can upgrade pip and install whatever you need via pip with
> no impact
> on either your user or system python.

I will do this then.

Thank you very much Scott.