PEP-517/PEP-518 Support In Debian

This being roughly the mid-point in the development cycle, I thought it might
be good to see where we are in terms of future Python packaging developments.

As I understand it, PEP-517 and PEP-518 are 'the future'.

I took a look at the presence of pyproject.toml files in the Debian archive.
There are currently 99 packages.  Of those, only 28 specify a 'build-backend',
which is required by 517/518 to be useful for building a package.

25 specify: build-backend = "setuptools.build_meta" (including setuptools)
3 specify: build-backend = "flit_core.buildapi" (including flit)

If build-backend is not specified, the build system has to fall back to
setup.py.

I've recently package flit (just arrived in Testing) and written a flit plugin
for pybuild that's pending review for merging[1].  I also packaged pep517 for
our pip package, so that's available to support future Debian tool development
in this area.

For the moment, I guess we are in reasonable shape, but it might be useful to
have a pybuild plugin to use PEP517/setuptools.build_meta in lieu of setup.py
with setuptools/distutils when available.  In the future, this will be the
primary API and the sooner we start to use it, the better.

Scott K

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/python-team/tools/dh-python/-/merge_requests/12