Re: packaging manual for a beginner

On 4/8/20 10:23 AM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 4/7/20 8:13 PM, Alex Mestiashvili wrote:
>> Hi Debian Python folks,
>>
>> Is there a good entry point for a newbie who wants to package a python
>> module? I am looking for a tool similar to dh-make-perl. In the past
>> I've been using stdeb as far as I remember, but it is somehow painful
>> compared to other dh-make-x helpers.
>> A link with step-by-step instructions would be also helpful. Sorry but I
>> am unable to find Debian documentation suitable for a newcomer.
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Alex
>>

> Hi Alex,
>
> I'd advise you to check the content of the packaging-tutorial package.
> It contains nice PDFs under /usr/share/doc/packaging-tutorial/
> (translated in multiple languages). This is a very good start, IMO.
>
> When you're done with that one, you may start reading the Debian Policy
> Manual, which is probably a lot harder to read.
>
> I hope this helps,
> Cheers,
>
> Thomas Goirand (zigo)

Hi Thomas,

thanks, I can find my way to package python applications, but what I am
 actually looking for is an up-to-date guide or tools which would
simplify packaging. Most of the useful resources about python packaging
for Debian are either 10 years old or are blogposts living outside
Debian wiki.. I can imagine that for a newcomer it is kind of
complicated to start packaging python software. There must be some easy
py2deb stuff giving you almost ready debian package,(that's what stdeb
is doing to some extent), but again the documentation is sparse and
output of stdeb is sometimes scary :) I know, if you need it, just
implement it, but may be I am missing some already available tools.

Regards,
Alex