Re: Python3.8 as default final status

On Saturday, March 28 2020, Scott Kitterman wrote:

> On March 28, 2020 5:10:42 AM UTC, Sergio Durigan Junior <sergiodj@debian.org> wrote:

>>migrated to
>>went.

>>fixed either
>>someone (who

>>progress.
>>try to
>>look
>>>>

>>> I believe I already fixed that package, it's waiting for someone to
>>> review and upload it. Did you look at the repository in salsa?
>>
>>I had looked at the repository when I was working with the package.
>>I see you pushed your changes 2 days ago, but the last time I looked at
>>the package was at least 7 days ago.
>>
>>Anyhow, I thank you for letting me know, but I am not sure I am
>>satisfied with the solution.  You basically disabled the test on Python
>>3.8, which obviously works, but doesn't really tell me whether there
>>was
>>indeed a problem with the package/testcase or not.
>
> I completely agree.  It's just papering over the problem.  It's not in the spirit of the Debian Social Contract (#3).
>
>>My approach (failed, so far) was to try and figure out what was
>>happening, and then devise a proper fix for it.  My next step was going
>>to be to involve upstream in this.
>>
>>Would you like to follow up with them and check if they're are aware of
>>the failure?  Maybe they already have a proper solution for it.
>
> Upstream should definitely be involved.

... and the package was uploaded anyway :-/.  I'm Cc'ing Jonathan in
case he hasn't seen these messages.

Anyway, I still think it's necessary to follow up on this and involve
upstream; simply disabling the test that is failing is not the Debian
way.

Thanks,

--
Sergio
GPG key ID: 237A 54B1 0287 28BF 00EF  31F4 D0EB 7628 65FC 5E36