Re: New packages: -doc package with python or python3 prefix?

On Sat, 28 Mar 2020 at 11:44:35 +0100, ghisvail@gmail.com wrote:
> Le samedi 28 mars 2020 à 11:22 +0100, Christian Kastner a écrit :
> > The Python 2 removal page [1] states that existing python-$foo-doc
> > packages should not be renamed to python3-$foo-doc.
> >
> > But what about new packages? I have a package in NEW that provides
> > python3-tpot, but should the doc package have a python- or python-3
> > prefix?
> >
> > [1] https://wiki.debian.org/Python/2Removal
>
> I believe it should remain python- (as the programming language),
> instead of python3- (the major version targeted).

In cases where the documentation is large enough to justify a separate
binary package, this matches my understanding of the policy. If/when there
is eventually a Python 4, I think we would want the module that is used
via "import tpot" to ship python3-tpot, python4-tpot and python-tpot-doc
binary packages; it would seem odd for the documentation for python4-tpot
to be in python3-tpot-doc.

If the documentation is small (in particular if there's just a README),
skip the -doc package and include the documentation in python3-tpot.

Unfortunately https://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/python-policy/
doesn't say anything either way on this. I think it should, and I'll open
a bug with a reference to the proposed patch in
<https://salsa.debian.org/cpython-team/python3-defaults/-/merge_requests/4>.

    smcv