Separate lib and executable packages?

The library style guide [1] says under _Executables and library
packages_:

> Here are some recommendations. We do not have a standard (though maybe
> we should)

regarding whether a library with an associated executable should be
split across `foo` and `python3-foo` or just bundled into `python3-foo`.
Does anyone consider that there is now a standard either way?

In eg, ipython this means shipping `ipython3` (containing a ~300 byte
entrypoints script and a similarly sized man page) as a separate
package to the implementation in `python3-ipython`.

I wonder if this split really makes sense; it feels like adding the
overhead of an extra binary package to avoid not having a very small
file in /usr/bin if you're only planning to use the library.

Does it seem reasonable to drop the executable package and just make it
a Provides: of the library package? (and is there any potential breakage
here that I'm overlooking)

Gordon

[1]: https://wiki.debian.org/Python/LibraryStyleGuide