Re: Update python-sip, sip4 request

Hi Matthijs!

On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 10:22:33PM +0000, Matthijs van der Burgh wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In the ROS community, a lot of developers use the 'python-orocos-kdl'
> library, https://github.com/orocos/orocos_kinematics_dynamics, which
> generates its python bindings with SIP. The versions of SIP between
> 4.16.7 and 4.19.20 contain bugs which make the 'python-orocos-kdl' hard
> to use.
>
> I worked with the developer of SIP to fix these bugs. These are fixed in
> the new release 4.19.21, as can be seen on
> https://www.riverbankcomputing.com/hg/sip.

I have just uploaded sip 4.19.21 to unstable.

> I would like to ask you to update the python-sip package on all ubuntu
> release 16.04 and newer to 4.19.21. This would make it possible to generate
> a new version of 'python-orocos-kdl', which would help a lot of developers.

This is Debian mailing list, not Ubuntu's :-)

However my upload will be synced into Ubuntu and available in 20.04 LTS.

If you want a fix in older Ubuntu releases, please file a bug against sip4
package on Launchpad, ideally following this template:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates#SRU_Bug_Template

The whole sip 4.19.21 won't be backported, but it is possible to cherry-pick
individual fixes.

--
Dmitry Shachnev