Understanding pybuild

Hi,

I am currently updating scikit-image (skimage) to its newest version,
and I have some difficulties to understand how pybuild works (for
setup.py packages):

1. first, dh_auto_build calls "python3.X setup.py build" to create the
packages (Python files and compiled extensions) in
..pybuild/cpython3_3.X/. This however does not include the copying of any
data files.

2. dh_auto_test then tries runs the tests in .pybuild. If the test need
data files installed, they must be copied manually (right?).

3. dh_auto_install finally calls "python3.X setup.py install ..." to
install the complete packages (Python files, extensions, and data files)
from their original place to debian/tmp/. This includes a re-compilation
of the extensions.

What I do not understand now is: what is the purpose of step 1? Except
for the tests, these files seem to be unused. And for the tests, they
are not complete, since the data files are missing.

And what is the canonical way to get the data files copied to
..pybuild/...? They are already marked as such in setup.py. Doing this
manually by the Debian maintainer seems a constant source of error.

Best

Ole