Re: Merge Requests

On Fri, 06 Dec 2019, Louis-Philippe Véronneau wrote:
> On 19-12-06 04 h 34, Jonathan Carter wrote:
> > For other MRs, I noticed that many small changes in the packaging didn't
> > have an associated changelog entry with it, so I had to dch to add a
> > changelog entry. I think for small changes I'd prefer the person who
> > submits the MR to add them. For larger ones it probably makes sense not
> > to do that since it might take longer.
>
> I rarely add a changelog entry when creating MRs, as I feel it often is
> a burden for the maintainers if the MR isn't immediately merged and new
> releases are made (creates merge conflicts, etc.).

And it's also painful when you use "gbp dch", having a commit in the
middle introduce a changelog entry means that the next "gbp dch" run
might miss some commits that need to be documented.

Not everybody is sold to the idea of using "gbp dch" but it's definitely
cleaner IMO. Commits that do not modify debian/changelog are also easier
to cherry-pick between different branches, etc.

  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀   Raphaël Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org>
  ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁
  ⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋    The Debian Handbook: https://debian-handbook.info/get/
  ⠈⠳⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀   Debian Long Term Support: https://deb.li/LTS