Re: package_data in python package

On Monday, October 28, 2019 11:02:40 AM EDT Félix Sipma wrote:
> On 2019-10-28 10:44-0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > It's the way setuptools works.  Looking at the current upstream
> > recommendations:
> >
> > https://python-packaging.readthedocs.io/en/latest/non-code-files.html
> >
> > your solution seems correct.
>
> Hi Scott,
>
> Thanks for your message. I'm not sure I get why upstream can't reproduce
> the problem in this case... setuptools, as used in the setup.py seems to
> install the data dir just fine, and without my patch.
>
> That's why I thought that it was maybe a limitation of dh-python...

It does depend considerably on how you do the install.  For example, to
replicate what pip does (to get the data files installed) you have to do:

python setup.py install --single-version-externally-managed --record=/dev/null

I don't find I need to do that with pybuild though.  I find setuptools handling
of data files highly mysterious and counter-intuitive, so I doubt I'll have
more specific advice.

Scott K