Re: Raising severity to serious for some Python 2 leaf packages with no Python 3 support upstream

> As of now, calibre is not of sufficient quality to be part of a Debian release
> and until it drops all Python2 requirements, it must be considered RC buggy.

Is your quality argument based on the Calibre author's shenanigans?
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/9wodtq/calibre_wont_migrate_to_python_3_author_says_i_am/

And in particular: https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1714107

One thing to consider here is the relatively large user base of Calibre that
doesn't know much or care about the Python 2 deprecation. They will simply
perceive dropping Calibre as a bad move on Debian's side and rush towards
other packages of significantly lower quality. PPAs, Snap and the like do more
harm than keeping compatibility in some way for the time being.

While I agree that Debian should not put up with stubborn developers, I also
don't agree that end users should take the fall for Debian maintainer's decisions.

Perhaps a middle ground has to be found until a viable Py3 fork of Calibre is
available, or someone steps up and writes Py3 compatibility patches without
dropping Py2 support? This here seems like a good starting to achieve what
Calibre's author wants:
https://github.com/plone/Products.CMFPlone/issues/2184#issuecomment-359445243

Though, in the long run, somebody will have to convince Kovid that writing Py3
code is worthwhile... Or take over maintenance.