Re: Raising severity to serious for some Python 2 leaf packages with no Python 3 support upstream

On Sunday, October 13, 2019 10:52:17 PM EDT Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In some cases I've seen, particularly in the med or science team,
> switching some packages to Python 3 requires a significant effort.
>
> For example, today I looked into removing Python 2 from python-cogent.
> Running sixer on all files lead to a huge log of problems to solve by
> hand. There's no upstream support for Python 3 on that one.
>
> For this kind of package, I see no way out except:
> - Upstream works on Python 3 support
> - Someone in Debian makes the effort
>
> But in both cases, it's going to take a very long time. Do we really
> want to get stuck on these packages for like forever, or would it feel
> ok to raise the severity to serious, so that the package gets
> auto-removed and then we can work on removing Python 2 from its
> dependencies?

There are two python2 only packages that I maintain.  I don't intend to keep
them in bullseye, so I filed "should not be in bullseye" RC bugs against them.
They and their rdepends will be out of Testing shortly.

If you are the maintainer of a package, I think that's something that doesn't
need to wait.

In the case of things that aren't ported to python3 yet they are mostly dead
upstream.  For the dead ones, I don't think anyone in Debian should port them
unless they are willing to take over as upstream (I've done this in a few
cases).  If there's no upstream, they ought to just be removed.  The sooner
the better.

Scott K